Sunday, October 5, 2008

Playing cards cake

My dad is a magician.For his birthday I wanted a themed cake which reminded me of all the card tricks he practices on a green baize table.
I bought a packet of 10 chocolate playing cards, however one unfortunately got eaten so I had to cut the square cake to make a nine sided cake. The cards on the top were made from Mexican paste using a set from Kitbox. I made the spray of card signs stuck into a flower pick and disguised the base of it with some chocolate dice.He loved it but was reluctant to actually cut it and eat it until he'd shown his friends. The grandchildren had already eyed up all those chocolate extras !They were disappointed to say the least. I had seen Nadia Johnson from Kitbox do a demonstration which inspired me to have a go at this type of cake. It was very simple to make but I think quite effective . I hope you agree.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi there,
I've been researching cake toppers for Magicians, came across your cake and think it's fantastic :) Is there a chance you make the spray you made for this cake for people?? I've been looking specifically for wired card suit sprays and not had much luck... What are the small suit shapes made of?
Hope to hear from you soon.
Many Thanks
Ella

Jandoe said...

I made the small card suits for the spray using flower paste and cutters.If you leave your email I can get in touch with you.